Our main goal is to open consecutive interpreting learning to everyone, no matter where they are. Made for those who want to start their career in conference interpreting or simply discover how consecutive interpreting works
Consecutive Interpreting: beginners course 1 – 12 hours
from: 180,00 € (ex. VAT)
TRAINER Eleonora Ceriello
4 Interactive webinars: from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Day 1: 07/09/2021
Day 2: 14/09/2021
Day 3: 21/09/2021
Day 4: 28/09/2021
Webinar: 10 people
- This course is designed for students or professionals who want to discover the basics of consecutive interpreting and start learning in order to become confident with this important technique.
- Interpreting students wishing to prepare for interpreting schools entrance exams or needing extra support in learning consec and preparing for a successful first year exam. Translators wishing to begin discovering conference interpreting techniques
This course is designed to offer an initial overview of the consecutive interpreting technique. It concentrates on phase 1 of consecutive interpreting: the development of skills essential to consec, i.e. memory and comprehension, listening and analysis, note-taking and vocabulary building, short-term memory operations, coordination of all these tasks.
Throughout the whole course the group will be working with practical memorization, analysis and consecutive interpreting exercises.
The phase 2: note-reading, reproduction and presentation skills will be treated in the beginners course 2 and in the intermediate course.
- Why learn consecutive interpreting?
- Analysis: Why do you need to analyze a speech?
- Introduction to speech/text analysis
- Recognizing and organizing ideas
- The skeleton in the closet
- Drawing a tree
- Working with memory : memory tools and tricks for conference interpreters
- Visual representation of your analysis of the source speech: Mind maps
- Memory and analysis: practice exercises
- Introduction to note taking: Why? What? How?
- Noting the idea, not the word
- What is an idea? “Who does what to whom?”
- Noting from a written text
- Discovering the hidden skeleton
- Peer-to-peer feedback
- Ethical Principles and Interpreting Etiquette
- Know your speaker, know your audience
At the end of the course a certificate of participation will be issued
* The course will start with a minimum of 5 participants
Global2Evolution Partners, Standard